Becoming a CRNA-APN-A in New Jersey
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA’s) and Advanced Practice Nurse (APN-A) are master’s prepared advanced practice nurses who provide anesthetics to patients in every practice setting, and for every type of surgery or procedure.
- To work in New Jersey as a CRNA you must be recognized by the state as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) with fulfillment of the educational requirements of an Advanced Practice Nurse as set forth by the New Jersey State Law. More information and application can be found: www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nur/Pages/Advanced-Practice-Nurses.aspx
- For APN application and education requirements as well as examination and endorsement requirements, more information can be found at: www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nur/Pages/APN-Certification.aspx
- An Advanced Practice Nurse certified in any other state(s) who wishes to be certified to practice in New Jersey as an Advanced Practice Nurse, or present, call or represent himself or herself as an Advanced Practice Nurse must be certified by the New Jersey Board of Nursing. Application information can be found at: www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nur/Applications/Application-for-Advanced-Practice-Nurse-Certification.pdf
Interested in attending nurse anesthesia school?
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) provides the public with several ways to obtain information about each of the nation’s 113 accredited nurse anesthesia programs across the country. Click here to gain knowledge regarding tuition costs, admittance requirements, class size, program length, curriculum and more.
Click here for a recent AANA Fact Sheet.
CRNA Clinical Practice
CRNA’s practice according to their expertise, state statutes or regulations, and institutional policy. CRNA’s administer anesthesia and anesthesia-related care in four general categories:
(1) preanesthetic preparation and evaluation;
(2) anesthesia induction, maintenance and emergence;
(3) postanesthesia care; and
(4) perianesthetic and clinical support functions.
For more details about the scope of CRNA practice click here.